Sunday, April 5, 2009

What should Emily's middle name be?

I started a poll at the top of my blog. Craig and I are so confused about what Emily's middle name should be. Our first choice was Elizabeth...we LOVE that for the middle name. It flows so nicely with Emily, and we just love the meaning behind it...considering all we have been through in trying to get pregnant. Unfortunately, as we shared with friends and family, we quickly found out that "Emily Elizabeth" is the name of the character with "the big red dog: Clifford". I don't want Emily to be made fun of during her childhood years because she has the same name as the "girl with the big red dog". To add insult to injury...we actually have a big red dog. His name isn't Clifford, it is actually Luke. I just don't want Emily growing up hating her name. Maybe she won't. On the other hand, how many kids go around saying their full name? (Maybe a lot more than I think) In addition to that...her initials would be EEW, as in "yuck". Am I looking too much into this, or is this good to catch now rather than after Emily is here? It just stinks because I TRULY love the name Emily Elizabeth, but not at the risk of her being made fun of.
So, my next option was Nicole. I think is goes well with Emily (not as well as Elizabeth, but it goes well). The meaning of the Nicole is not all that special. The only reason I thought of it is because it is my own middle name, but what if that is a bad thing? What if she doesn't want to have the same middle name as her mother? This is hard!!

Hmmm....what do you all think? If you have another suggestion, feel free to click on the comments link below this post and share it. Thanks for the input!!!

4 comments:

  1. Our girls middle names are the middle names of their grandmas. Ava has my moms middle name and Allie has Adams moms middle name.

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about Elizabeth spelled Alysabeth or Alisabeth?? I have A niece Emily Elisabeth. No one has ever made fun of her (she's 9). My youngest daughter (4 girls) is Elisabeth Denae. We DO NOT call her Liz. Her nickname is Beth or Bella. Just some thoughts... :)

    keep in mind...make sure you LOVE her name. You'll be saying it ALOT!!!! :) Blessings... Cynthia

    savingstarfish.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Heather,

    Your mother sent a link to your blog and it is wonderful to read about your pregnancy and to hear how you are! I am so happy for you, Craig and your family! This baby is going to be so loved!

    And the name Nicole flows beautifully with the name Emily! I think it is a perfect choice, I really do!

    You asked if it's a good idea to pass on the mother's middle name to your own child and I can honestly tell you, that I absolutely love sharing my middle name with my mother. Hers was an old family name passed down. It became her middle name and so it also became mine, so my name is Kimberly Vail. I treasure it because she and I are so close and because I love her so.

    So I think it is a wonderful gift to give your daughter. She is a part of you after all. You will always be connected.

    I just know that she is going to love being your daughter.

    Just like you somehow just knew when your wedding dress was the perfect choice, so it will be with her name - it will just fit.
    You'll just know. Doesn't it feel so good to call her by name and to know who she is?

    Can't wait to hear more!

    With Love,
    Kimberly Shipman

    ReplyDelete