Sunday, January 25, 2009

Presentation Sunday

Last year, my parent's Pastor told them about a church in Bothell that devotes the last Sunday of every January as: Presentation Sunday, in commemoration of the Presentation of Jesus in the Temple by Mary and Joseph 40 days after His birth. On this day Cedar Park Church (in Bothell), along with a growing number of other churches in the area and around the world, will be praying for couples who are desiring to have children but have encountered difficulty in doing so. Hundreds of babies are known to have been born in response to previous Presentation Sunday Prayer Services. Some babies arrive miraculously, some with the aid of fertility treatment, and some by adoption, but all are in response to prayer.

My husband and I attended last year for the first time. It was truly a blessing. The church has been doing this service for over 20 years now. After praise and worship, the Pastor shares his own testimony of how he and his wife have had 11 miscarriages throughout their marriage, which is why he has such a heart for couples struggling with infertility.

Last year, after the Pastor's message, he opened up the floor for couple's to share their testimonies. It was amazing!! Some couples shared how they have struggled for YEARS at trying to conceive. Some couples received their blessing through a miracle of pregnancy, others through adoption, and to my amazement...there were a couple stories of "snowflake" babies!!! There were a couple of women who adopted frozen embryos and were able to experience pregnancy. After being renewed with encouragement from hearing story after story of how...everything eventually worked out, couples who were currently struggling with infertility were asked to come forward and receive prayer. Craig and I, along with a TON of other couples came forward and knelt down as others walked around and prayed over us. One truly amazing thing about our experience was that it wasn't just adults that prayed over us...but also "Presentation Children" (Children who came to be after their parents attended a Presentation Service and received prayer). These children, ranging in ages from 12ish-3ish...walked around each of the couples, laying their hands on them and praying for them. It was BEAUTIFUL!!!!

So, needless to say, Craig and I had the pleasure of attending this year and being able to share our own testimony in hopes of providing encouragement for other couples. As those couples went forward for prayer, I was just filled with so such emotion. I just remember how, not so long ago, I felt so lost. I remember saying that I felt as though I had "faith without hope". I don't know why we went through what we had gone through, but I do know that I am a better person because of it...though if you had asked me in the middle of our challenge I would have thought that that was load of bologna. Nonetheless...I went through it...key word: "through".

1 comment:

  1. You wrote on my blog and I want to say "Thanks". It was great to hear from you and congratulations on your child. I know what you mean about the whole "Just relax" crap. I've wanted to scream so many times! Dan and I missed being in church on Presentation sunday due to family obligations, but our pastor, who has been a source of encouragement through all of this, prayed for us that day anyway. Our church has been so supportive, though no other infertile couples have stepped forward to join the support group Dan and I tried to start at the church; which made us feel alone initially and now we're a bit over it. We're still keeping the group open, just in case anyone does have this struggle. I also opened it up to my mothers' church because they don't have anything like that there. I really have been wanting to help other couples or women through this, be someone they could talk to or cry on my shoulder.
    Dan and I really feel that this is our year to have a child. We feel very positive about our IUI's because we've come really close to conception the last time we tried it in December. I would very much love your prayers, just for peace and trust each month. It's been hard, as I'm sure you know. thanks again for commenting and if want to email me the address is trishheinrich@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete