Saturday, June 6, 2009

2nd Baby Shower...SO COOL!!!

You Apfel ladies are AMAZING!!! That was just the coolest baby shower that I have ever been to. Where do I even begin? OK...the shower started out with a game, one that I have never played before. It was great!! We were each given a long list of candy bar names. Then Jessica would call out something related to having a baby (for example: the hospital bill) and then we would try to figure out which candy bar matched..."100 Grand". After the game, then Rachael gave the devotional. She placed a bag in front of me with random gifts. With each gift that I pulled out, Rachael read words of advice that applied to that gift along with a Bible verse for encouragement. It was so neat!!

Afterwards, they played the DVD of "The Wright Story" that was shown at our church on Mother's Day. There wasn't a dry eye in the room...not even mine. I still cannot watch that video without crying. I was doing to great too. I was so sure that this would be the time that I could get through it without crying...then the part came where I talked about our IVF...it is at this point that the tears begin to well up...and then overflow. That was it, I couldn't hold them back anymore. Thankfully, the girls planned ahead and there was a box of tissues going around the room.

Once the video was over, Rachael opened up in prayer and, those who felt led, prayed a prayer for me and baby Emily. It was no neat...so meaningful. I have never been to a baby shower that was so full of love.

Gift time arrived...there were so many. Emily is so blessed!! I was so lucky to get a "one of a kind" from Lorraine and Sharon. Sharon crocheted the MOST beautiful pink blanket and Lorraine knitted together a matching sweater, bonnet, and booties. ADORABLE!!! Of course, I was showered with clothes...the cutest clothes: beautiful dresses, sets, cardigans...I even received tights with lace on the bottom.

Now...the coolest gift that I have ever received (and I'm not talking about just a baby shower gift...this was the gift of all gifts), was from Jessica. Two years ago, when Craig and I finally decided to move forward with IVF, we had a huge garage sale. Many friends and family donated to the sale. Some of the things that I put up for sale were my old school toys (Barbies, Cabbage Patch Dolls, Straw. Shortcake, etc) Well, Jessica came to the sale and purchased all of my Barbies, including her corvette. She told me that they were for her Mother-In-Law who just adopted some girls. However, I found out today that she was not being honest with me :) It turns out that she purchased those Barbies in hopes that one day I would have a baby girl to give them to. When I opened up her gift, I KNEW...as soon as I saw the corvette, what she had done!! I couldn't believe it...I was in shock!! My mom then shared with everyone the story behind the gift, and once again...the tissue box made its way around the room.
I know eventually you will be reading...you Apfel ladies have always been so thoughtful!! Your baby shower will be one that Emily hears about for years...I can't wait to play Barbies with her now!! Don't worry though Rachael...you can choose which Barbie you want to play with before Emily chooses. It is only fair!! I love you guys!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment